Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Change Me!


Hello Dear blog reader!

Have you ever done a Myers-Briggs test? Or some other test that is similar to it? I have, a couple of times actually, that what you have to do when you do management subjects.. In some subjects this is THE thing, it lets you as a manager select the right people for the right job, and helps you understand why different people behave in different ways. I figured I'm an INFP, but the second time I was a ENFP (I think) and the third time I was an XNXP.. For you who don't know anything about what these letters stand for here's a little description:

  • First letter can either be E (extrovert) or I (introvert)
  • Second letter can be either N (intuitive) or S (sensing)
  • Third letter can be F (feeling) or T (thinking)
  • Fourth letter can be J (judging) or P (perceiving)
I you want to know more about it just follow this link and if you want to do a little online based one click on this link. Btw, the X is not a real letter it is just that the test coldnt figure out what type I were...

Anywas, last week in my "Understanding Leadership" unit I got told that this test isn't all that brilliant as it tended to put everything in black and white.

Example: Let's say you score 48 on the J-P scale and below 50 is J and above 50 is P (I'm just making up numbers) then the test would say that your a J and you would then be as much a J as your friend Judgoman who scored 1 on the test.. And well, let's face it your not nearly as organized as Judgoman, the guy organizes everything before he comes to some conclusion...

So, lo and behold, there is another test that is emerging, and this is called the Big Five (or Five-Factor personaility model) and this one have 5 different "Buckets" each consisting of 6 characteristics and you score on a continous scale (but the divied you into 3 things in the end anyways to make it easier).

So, I headed over to this site and spent about 40 mins or so answering 200+ questions (they do have a shorter one as well) and with some trepiditation (?) pressed the final button to get the verdict on who I am (hoping it would tell me how amazlingly great I am)...

Well, this is who I am:
  • Yore on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.
  • Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.
  • Your score on Conscientiousness is low, indicating you like to live for the moment and do what feels good now. Your work tends to be careless and disorganized.
  • Your score on Neuroticism is average, indicating that your level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. Stressful and frustrating situations are somewhat upsetting to you, but you are generally able to get over these feelings and cope with these situations.
  • Your score on Openness to Experience is low, indicating you like to think in plain and simple terms. Others describe you as down-to-earth, practical, and conservative.
This is what I thought about it:
  • Extroversion don't have any problems with really except that I told me that I wasn't very cheerful (19) but I was very gregarious (95%)....
  • Agreeableness is ok, I care about people but not as much as sometimes would be good, by some reason I'm pretty crap at coopretation (31) which is what I thought I would be good at as I much prefer working with people.
  • Concientiousness (8) this one is pretty strange got an 8 (out of a 100) in total on this.. 0 in self-efficiacy (*despair!!*) 7 in orderliness (....!!) and 0 in cautiousness... Hence I don't believe I can achieve anything, but that's ok because I don't care if I fail and I most certainly will make a big mess while Im at it...
  • Neuroticisim (62) fairly balanced on this one.. so not much to say more than that I'm rather vulnerable.. so don't hurt me!
  • Openness to Experience (27) here's where I'm thinking this test is weird, I love testing new things! Ok, it tell's me I'm rather adventurous (76) but not overly imaginative (46) neither am I very intellectual (16) and my artistic interest is amazing at 1.... Hence, I would really like doing something adventurous but don't expect me to come up with any brilliant ideas, play with any ideas and count me out if you intend to go to some art gallery....
"Meh!" I say, "Change me!" i say as well and not to forget "I am not a hamster!" I also say (although I can't understand why..)

If you read through this long as post here's a reward for you:
Dyslexic child receives present from Satan, news at seven...
This is supposed to be a religious joke, got it from this (Something for Matt?) site, but can't figure out what it says.. so let me know if you do

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookey lookey - who the serial commentors are - Matt L & Me. What a surprise. I just don't have anything else to do in my lunch break. Matt - what's your excuse?

Anonymous said...

I find the M-B quite interesting! We had to do it at uni too and I am a ISFP. An extreme F! So apparently I do everything based on my feelings!

Which is probably true.

I just read the overview from your site for my personality type and its actually quite scary how accurate it is. I often am quite worried what my decisions mean for others... well the important ones in life anyway...

Its great!! I'm aloud to be stubborn because it told me!! I'm also aloud to avoid conflict... so just let me run when things turn ugly! I have no long term vision and I'm clueless when it comes to seeing the real motives of people. Oh and I'm overly concerned with group harmony....

sounds like ive got real issues on my hands here... now you all understand why I am the way I am... Im an ISFP!!! Ahhhhhh its all clear now!

Mattias said...

heh, it all makes sens Jill, everything comes together and we can see the light! No more wondering why Jill is the way she is (why she doesn't spell her name with a G for example) all makes sense now she's ans ISFP!

Starting do disslike these tests.. Stuffs you up and puts you in a box och chocolates that someone later can come in and devour.. wonder how an ISFP chocolate tastes like?

Kutz said...

Matt, you're a strange Swede. Why not get over it and just forget about the tests? :P

I think that these tests are good for a starting point regarding how you work, nothing more. A launch pad for discussion to understand yourself and how you work.

Mattias said...

Oh, I'm forgeting about it alright, most of the time. Sometimes I can't forget about things as my mind thinks remembering crap is a very good thing to do.. Not that it considers it to be crap, it consider it to be very important hence it remembering it. It need some one to explain to it what is important and what is crap, I have spen 26 years trying, and failing...

But, your right young Kutuzov, they are a good starting point to start figuring out how to become who you are/want to be

Anonymous said...

To spell Jill with a G is just wrong!!! I can think of nothing worse than being called "Gill" the fishing breathing variety! How awful!

It also looks all wrong!! I'm sorry, staring at Gill gives me the shudders...

I'm perfectly happy with a J and personally I think it's more unusual to spell Jill with G than a J.

It also gets worse when its Gillian... how cruel!

Sorry to all those Gillian's out there who might be reading this blog... not everyone can be fortunate enough to be blessed with a J. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

But then again what are the chances of another Jill/Gill reading this blog... not very likely! Sorry Mattias...

Anonymous said...

hmm, jill - there are things about that test about you, that i don't fully agree with....

The motives of others bit--> not true. You are not clueless about that.

Overly concerned with group harmony! Ha! perhaps mildly concerned.

I haven't done the test - but i recon it would say about me - stubborn (its a pfeffer trait).

Likes to be on the go, hates not having anything to do. Extravert I think! It takes too long for me to do a test that tells me who I am - which i already know! - so that makes me ---> Intelligent :)

Nathan said...

If only not doing a test really did make you intelligent Mel. I'm not sure the two concepts are actually causually linked.

Anonymous said...

Nathan.... remember who got the higher OP & marks at uni!!

Mattias said...

Ey Smiley, Mell only want's attention, that's what she does.. She can't help it either, it's in her personality... Got a bunch of personality disorders she does, so we need to be nice to her

Anonymous said...

hey matty,

im an enfp too. they seem to be the coolest of the peoples so far as i can tell. I mean you are one of 'em.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mel here. That's a bit harsh! I don't need attention... It's my other personality (Emelda) that does...

Nathan said...

I'm also an ENFP.

Yes Mel - academic achievement clearly is a mark of superior intelligence. I should obviously now defer to your opinion and judgement in all things. School marks are a clear indication of superiority.

Hitler probably used that argument too - I think he was rounding Jews up and pushing them into concentration camps at the time. "DO VHAT I SAY because I got better marks at school..." hmmm, is that politically incorrect? Probably.

Nathan said...

Mel,

You do realise when you put your name at the top of the post you don't have to begin your message with "hey mel here..." We can already read that.

Anonymous said...

I'm choosing to write "Mel here". I acknowledge it says it above it.

Ahh, Nathan, how I've missed our arguements!
The thing I've missed the most is how I don't have to say very much and you get defensive. I also miss how you try to use big words to make yourself sound intelligent. I don't need to use the big words - so I choose not to. Can't wait till you come back to visit.... No one to argue/debate with down here.